Wednesday 15 May 2013

Osong Ligaw goes to Jurong Bird Park

When I learnt that my human would be visiting Jurong Bird Park, you could say I was not excited for it. As the name suggests, it will simply be a park full of different birds your household cats hunt on their leisure. BUT after a day at JBP, I really enjoyed the adventure!
Waiting for Bus 194

From Hougang, we took an MRT to Boon Lay (see my post about train rides here in SG), and walked towards the bus stop to take Bus 194. The signage is very clear so you wouldn't get lost. 

After a good 4 - 5 minute ride, we reached the park. The entrance screamed Jurong Bird Park at Bird Park Drive, and I'm pretty sure you won't miss it. After alighting the bus, people will rush for their photo op with the sign so if you're signage fanatic, I suggest you try your luck on beating the crowd. 


The Entrance to Jurong Bird Park
The entrance of Jurong Bird Park showcases a lot of beautiful orchids! And for a more comfortable photo op with the sign, there's also one here. STILL! Other tourists are crazy about the same idea so good luck!

My human and me at Jurong Bird Park
Enjoying looking at these birds will cost an adult S$20 or Php 660 and a cub S$13 or Php429.  I'm not sure though if it includes the Tram ride because ours had. This is different from the Bird's Eye View VIP Buggy Tour which can only cater a family. We did not take the tram ride since we wanted to enjoy the park on our own time. So, yes, we walked around the 20 hectare paradise!

Map of Jurong Bird Park 
Friends of my human told her that you could tour Jurong Bird Park in the morning and the SG Zoo in the afternoon. I do not recommend this one!

Jurong Bird Park is Asia's largest bird park. Its 20 hectare space is home to 5,000+++ birds from different species. If you really wanna enjoy the park, and if you have kids, it' better to allot a whole day for JBP.

Its exhibits include *Penguin Coast *World of Darkness (Owls) *Pools Amphitheatre (High Flyers Show) *Heliconia Walk *Spoonbills *Shore birds *Scarlet Ibis *Royal Ramble *Hornbills and Toucans *Window on Paradise *Lory Loft *Birds of Prey *Jungle Jewels *Southeast Asian Birds *Mandarin Duck *Bird Discovery Centre *Dinosaur Descendants *Swan Lake *African Waterfall Aviary *Parrot Paradise *Pelican Cove *Shoebill **Flamingo Lake *Songbird Terrace *Riverine *Wetlands *Macaw Island *Flamingo Pool *Hawk Walk (Kings of the Skies Show) and *Breeding Research Centre.

Most of the birds in the park are species I did not know even exist! Or birds that my human has just admired at Nat Geo. My human was totally starstruck with the exhibits. *ehem! flamingo! *ehem Scarlet ibis! *ehem! Vultures!

Scarlet Ibis - reminds me of a short story by James Hurst

Pretty flamingoes! Yes, they're really pink! 

A bird of prey - something that will enjoy devouring me
My human also enjoyed paying S$2 to feed three fish to penguins and another S$2 to feed colourful lories at Lory loft. Be careful when feeding the birds though because some tourists would distract "your birds" so that they could feed them themselves. I guess this is to provide a better photo op. But of course, my human did not let them ruin her moment.
We were sort of expecting this

But I think we're okay with this. (SHE DID NOT PAY FOR THAT FEED)

Besides these, there are also shows everyone can enjoy. There is the "King of the Skies Show" which features falcons, owls, and oh-my-god vultures, the "High Flyers Show" where parrots and lories do some aeronautical tricks, and the "Lunch with the Parrots" where humans....uhm...have lunch with the parrots. The latter requires purchase of food and beverage. You simply eat lunch while several parrots perform a number of tricks.
Inside was actually an emperor penguin swimming for food 

King of the Skies Show 

Shore Birds

A small pond with ginormous carps at SouthEast Asian Birds 

You'll find a dodo bird here - in a glass case. 

Swan lake - birds roam/swim/pooped freely!

Flaming lake - Just kidding, this is the FlamingO lake

Look at this big show-off 
Eating at JBP will not be a problem because there's Ben & Jerry's for ice cream and some snacks, Bongo Burgers, and Hawk Cafe - where they serve chicken. CHICKEN! In a bird park! *faints*





 Young children can also enjoy "Birds of Play" at JBP. This is a big bird themed water playground! This is not a pool so parents need not to worry about their children getting drowned. Also, there are Life guards around. Of course, parents are welcome to enjoy this playground with their kids. Watch out for the big bucket!!


Our cubs waiting for the big bucket 

 My human and I really enjoyed our trip to Jurong Bird Park. Here are some of the pictures of our trip.

Directions such as this is a necessity for Osong Ligaw 

a selfie! 

Hanging around 

We were lost, I'm afraid.

Can you see the big show off there??? 

Someone told me this contains beer - and I'm taking this home! 

Star-strucked with the flamingoes 




Bird eggs at the Breeding and Research Centre 
 There are still several things you can do at Jurong Bird Park. For more info, you may visit their website here.

Next adventure - Singapore Zoo, Adventure Cove








No comments:

Post a Comment